Non-US Persons and Entities: Can I change the residency information on my account?

IBKR will consider a change in residency on your account only on a case by case basis, if the proper documentation requirements have been met.  For example, you will be required to submit evidence of a change in residency status, a copy of a green card or document evidencing a change of residency or citizenship.  Please contact IBKR’s Client Service department for assistance.

Circular 230 Notice: These statements are provided for information purposes only, are not intended to constitute tax advice which may be relied upon to avoid penalties under any federal, state, local or other tax statutes or regulations, and do not resolve any tax issues in your favor.