How do I know if I am eligible to contribute to an IRA?

You are eligible to contribute to a Traditional IRA if you received taxable compensation during the year and you are under the age of 70½ by the end of the year. Traditional IRA contributions are not subject to income limits. You can contribute to a Roth IRA after age 70½ as long as you have taxable compensation. Roth IRA contributions are subject to income limits. If you are not employed but have a spouse who is, your spouse may be able to make a contribution on your behalf. You can open an IRA account even if you are covered by another retirement plan.

IRS Circular 230 Notice: The information contained in this FAQ is provided for information purposes only, is not intended to constitute tax advice which may be relied upon to avoid penalties under any federal, state, local or other tax statutes or regulations and does not resolve any tax issues in your favor. Refer to IRS Publication 590, Individual Retirement Accounts for additional information on IRAs in general and consult your tax advisor about your individual tax situation.