This type of installation will require you to launch the Trader Workstation through a Terminal window by using the string shown below in step 7. If you are not familiar with the use of Terminal, please use the automated installation package found here
Manual Jar File Installation
1. To install to the latest TWS Mac OS production release on your computer, hold down the Control Key, and with your mouse click on the button below:
2. From the menu, click "Download Link to Disk."
3. Once the file has downloaded to your desktop, move the file to your Home directory (this is a folder listed on your hard drive within the Users folder).
4. Access the command line terminal from the Applications menu. First select Utilities and then select Terminal.
5. At the command line, create a directory called IBJts and load TWS files by typing:
|jar xf unixmacosx.jar|
6. Change the directory to IBJts by typing:
7. To run TWS, type or paste in the Terminal window the following: (** Please note that there is a space then ".", after LoginFrame **)
|java -cp jts.jar:total.2013.jar -Xmx512M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M jclient.LoginFrame .|
To install the standalone version of TWS on your MAC OS X, begin by selecting the following MAC TWS download page: individuals.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php. Once there, you will be presented with the Automated Installation Package. then follow the following steps:
1. Click on the MAC Download button
2. When prompted with the open file dialog, choose the SAVE FILE option
3. Save the file to your Desktop.
4. Double-click the downloaded zip file, your system will expand the file and put an executable file on your desktop called, TWSX_INSTALL. * If you use Safari, the installation file will have already been extracted to your downloads folder.
5. Double-click the package (TWSX_INSTALL)
6. Installation will start. First screen you see is the Welcome to the TWS Installer. Please click on CONTINUE.
7. Select only the check box for Trader_WorkStation_X and click on CONTINUE.
8. Click on INSTALL.
9. You should now see an installation progress bar. When complete, you will see a checkmark encased in a green circle. "The Installation was successful".
10. Click on CLOSE.
Starting the TWS
To launch the TWS once installed:
1. Click on Finder
2. Click on your Users folder (House icon)
3. Double-click the Applications folder, where you will find the Trader_WorkStation_X application.
Alternatively, click on the magnifying glass on the upper right hand corner (SPOTLIGHT), and enter Trader_Workstation_X. The application will appear as a TopHit.
Recovering your Settings
1) Launch the Standalone TWS, but do not login. If you were previously storing your settings to the IB server by having selected the "Use/Store Settings on Server" check box, select that check box again and your settings will be automatically retrieved from our server.
In the event you were not previously storing your settings, there is nothing to retrieve and you will need to recreate them. Select the "Use/Store Settings on Server" check box afterwords to ensure your settings are saved on the IB server should they need to be retrieved at a later date. Also note that by using this feature your settings will be synchronized in the event you operate your Standalone TWS on multiple computers.
2) On the login window, click on the "Browse" button adjacent to the "Settings Directory" field. A window titled "Select Settings Directory" will open and from there select the button containing the image of a house (user directory). From the list of folders which appear, select the folder titled IBjts (alternatively titled: Jts. Click on the "OK" button.
3) Type in your user name and password and complete the login. The TWS should now open with all your personal settings.
IB provides to its account holders a variety of proprietary trading platforms at no cost and therefore does not actively promote or offer the platforms of other vendors. Nonetheless, as IB's principal trading platform, the TraderWorkstation (TWS), operates with an open API, there are numerous third-party vendors who create order entry, charting and various other analytical programs which operate in conjunction with the TWS for purposes of executing orders through IB. As these API specifications are made public, we are not necessarily aware of all vendors who create applications to integrate with the TWS but do operate a program referred to as The Marketplace@IB which operates as a self-service community bringing together third party vendors who have products and services to offer with IB customers seeking to fill a specific need.
While MetaTrader is not a participant in The Marketplace@IB, and does not support integration with the TWS, different vendors such as Trade-Commander (trade-commander.com), and jTWSdata (home.cidadevirtual.pt/jTWSdata) do offer software which they represent acts as a bridge between MetaTrader and the TWS. As is the case with other third-party software applications, IB is not in a position to provide information or recommendations as to the compatibility or operation of such software.
Should you need to strip the TWS of any customization you did and revert to the default settings, use the instructions in this video.
Applicable to any TWS version under any operating system.
You don't have to open your web-browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari) to use the browser-based Trader Workstation. You could have a desktop shortcut for it, the same way it is for the standalone version. The icon will be in a different color than the one for the standalone, so that you could have both shortcuts.
Follow the instructions in this movie to have the ease of login of the standalone version and the convenience of the browser based platform right on your Desktop.
This movie is destined to users with the Windows operating systems.
How to create price or volume based alarms in Trader Workstation
How to access and use the Trader Dashboard
a. If operating with a temporary passcode, note that alpha characters are case sensitive and are required to be input in upper case format
b. If operating a security card or electronic device, note that there are no spaces between characters
An example of how to set up alerts by creating a margin cushion alert.
Margin Cushion is calculated as follows:
(Equity with Loan Value - Maintenance Margin) / Net Liquidation Value
Please click on the use case below which best describes your login issue for guidance as to how to proceed:
I. No Access to Account Management or TWS
II. Partial Access (Account Management only)
III. Full Access to both Account Management and TWS
For security purposes, all requests for assistance with a User Name and/or password must be initiated via telephone and require prior verification of the caller’s identity. Click here for a list of IB’s regional Customer Service center contact numbers.
If you are temporarily without possession of your security device, interim access may be provided by contacting your regional Customer Service center via telephone where, once your identity has been verified, you will be provided with a temporary passcode.
This temporary passcode is a static alpha-numeric code which replaces the random code supplied by your security device and which will provide full access to both Account Management and the trading platforms for 2 days. Should a lengthier period of interim access be necessary and to obtain enhanced protection, it is recommended that you use the temporary passcode to log into Account Management and print out the on-line security card which will operate as a replacement to your security device for up to 3 weeks.
After the expiration of the temporary passcode or on-line security card, or if you regain possession of your security device beforehand, you will need to log into Account Management and select the menu option to re-activate your security device.
In the case of a lost or damaged security device, you will need to contact our Customer Service center to arrange for a replacement and to provide for interim access. As the time frame for shipping a replacement device may range form 3 to 14 days depending upon your country of residence, interim access is provided via an on-line security card. The on-line security card may be retrieved for printing or saving as an image to your desktop once a temporary passcode has been provided for Account Management access.
The temporary passcode is intended to provide full access to both Account Management and the trading platforms for a period of 2 days. After 2 days, the temporary passcode may no longer be used to access the trading platforms but may be used to access Account Management for an additional period of 10 days. The Account Management access, however, is limited solely for the purpose of printing or saving the on-line security card.
If your window of access to Account Management using the temporary passcode remains, you may print or save the on-line security card through which full access to both Account Management and the trading platforms is provided for a period of 21 days. If you are unable to log into Account Management, you will need to contact your regional Customer Service center for assistance.
The on-line security card is intended to provide full access to both Account Management and the trading platforms for a period of 21 days. This time frame, while limited, is intended to provide sufficient opportunity for the account holder to either regain possession of a temporarily unavailable security device or request and receive a replacement device.
If you are unable to log in using the on-line security card, you will need to contact your regional Customer Service center for assistance and to provide information as to the status of your permanent security device.
If your window of access to Account Management using the temporary passcode remains, you may print or save the on-line security card through which full access to both Account Management and the trading platforms is provided for a period of 21 days.
If you are unable to log into Account Management, you will need to contact your regional Customer Service center for assistance.
To activate either a replacement device or one which was temporarily unavailable and which required issuance of a temporary passcode, you will need to log into Account Management and select the reactivate security device menu option. Once reactivated, neither the temporary passcode nor on-line security card will remain operable.