Can I run TWS on my system?
To ensure that you have an adequate Internet connection and proper system requirements to run TWS, we recommend that you first run the demo system.
What are the minimum system requirements to run TWS?
Minimum and recommended systems requirements for both Windows and operating systems may be found by clicking here
Should I use the standalone or browser-based TWS?
If you have a slower computer or Internet connection, we recommend that you use the standalone version of TWS. If you use the browser-based version, you can access TWS from any internet PC. The standalone version can only be accessed from the PC on which you installed the application. Otherwise, both require that you install the latest Java Runtime Environment and both function the same way.
How do I install/upgrade the Java plugin?
Go to the Java Upgrade Instructions
page and scroll down to either the Windows or Mac operating system section. Follow instructions for upgrading the Java plugin. Note that if you want to upgrade to a newer Java version, you must first remove the existing plugin and then reinstall the upgraded version. Video instructions for installing the Java Runtime Environment for the Windows operating system can be found by clicking here
What is a beta release, and how can I use it?
The beta release is a pre-production version of an upcoming release that allows you to actively trade while you test new features. You must deliberately elect to use the beta when you log in and should be aware that you do so at your own risk. Since the beta is under construction until production release, we welcome your input on its performance. The beta will be promoted to production after it has been tested both in-house and externally over a specified time period.
How do I know what changes are in a new release?
The login page includes links to both the beta and production release notes. These notes briefly describe new features and problems that have been fixed.
How will I know when a new TWS version has been released?
If you are running the standalone version, the update wizard will automatically check for TWS updates each time you log in to your PC. You can also manually check for updates from the Start menu by selecting Programs and then Startup and clicking Check for TWS Updates. Customers running the browser-based version will always get the most recent production release when they log in.
How do I reinstall TWS?
First, uninstall TWS by going to add/remove programs and removing TWS. You can then reinstall TWS from the TWS Software
Why isn't my username recognized?
You will receive this message for one of the following reasons:
- You are not entering the proper username (check to be sure the Caps Lock key isn't on)
- Your account has not been set up yet
- You've entered your password incorrectly more than 10 times
Where can I find more information on using TWS?
Instant help resources include the TWS Release Notes, TWS User's Guide, and the online tutorials. If you still cannot find an answer to your question, contact Customer Service.
Who do I contact for help?
IB has two distinct departments that handle specific types of TWS questions.Customer service deals with everything involving trading, accounts, funding and execution. See the Customer Service
page on the IB website for contact details.The Technical Assistance Center (TAC) can help you with issues concerning your connection to IB and problems with the software involved. To help you more quickly, please:
- Call while you are experiencing the problem
- Have your computer turned on and ready to troubleshoot
- Have your account information ready
- Your username and account number
- A detailed summary of the problem
- A timeframe of when the problem occurred or occurs.
- Detailed system specifications if possible, including:
* the Windows version you are using
* the version of Internet Explorer or Netscape (include cipher strength)
* the brand names of any Network Interface Cards installed in the computer
* your processor generation and speed
* the amount of memory installed in your computer
* the type of Internet connection you are using
* any other troubleshooting you have done on your own or with our staff